Tuesday, November 12, 2013

UGANDA TREKKING ADVENTURE



I wasn't going to actually "start" the blog until we landed on African soil.....but since it is 4:00 AM here in Dubai, and I can't sleep...I guess I will post a few words.  We had an uneventful 14.5 hour flight from SeaTac, non stop,to Dubai,UE we will leave our hotel,Le Meridian, and catch the next flight which will land us in Entebbe early afternoon.
Why Africa, again?  So many reasons, and some are kind of odd.  Steve and I loved our Wildlife Safari adventure last year, and wanted more...but different.  This time we are headed to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in NW Uganda to trek throughthis misty rainforest and try to see and observe the Mountain Gorilla.  The Bwindi area hold half (about 340) of the world's endangered Mountian Gorillas. They are only accessable on foot and we wil be accompanied by experienced trackers and "protectors" of the primates......and us!  If we are able to find them, we will only be allowed 1 hr or less to observe, and there are all kinds of rules to abide by.  I will be able to describe this part more as we get closer to that day.  The park is strict and only allows 24 people a day to trek.  And then, we must be broken into small groups..
Along the way we will be staying in different places including 3 solar powered "eco lodges" , and I am not sure about power, let alone wifi!  Haha
Tonight we are schedualed to be at LAICO Lake Victoria Hotel touted as a "classic colonial" style hotel overlooking the panorama of Lake Victoria.
In Uganda, it is still rainy season, and they are squarely on the equator...so I KNOW the humidity is going to be killer. I hope I am not sending complaint posts all the time abput the wet and heat...be forwarned.  We brought lots of rain gear, water prood boots, and gloves, and are ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment