Friday, May 13, 2022

EASTER PROCESSIONS

 Before I go skipping along to the next days adventure, I need to back track to Trapani Sicily. We happened to land here on Easter weekend. It’s a VERY big deal here.  Because of Covid, the big Easter celebrations had been put on hold for 3 years and Sat eve was the first time the town hosted the big religious parade.  Our hosts at the family dinner explained the importance of this celebration and after hearing about it, Steve and I wanted to experience it.

Churches from all over Sicily make these elaborate religious floats, bring bands…yes bands….but even tho they are marching bands, it’s NOT like we think in USA. These are like funeral processions with slow “heavy” music.  This procession goes on for over 24 hours non stop! People walk slow. There are many priests walking along the processions. People are dressed in suits and modest clothing. After hours and hours of parading down the main STREETS..(yes it crawls along different avenues)..the floats and processions end up at a MAIN church and are judged…but I am not sure what the parameters were.  The townspeople take it very seriously because it’s all about Jesus and the resurrection, but I got lost in the pageantry and swept up with so many people walking for so long. Steve and I went together , but got separated in the crowds….it was a teeming mob….and finally after taking enough pictures….I found my way back to the ship.  I saw Steve a few hours later!





No comments:

Post a Comment