Wednesday, September 26, 2018

SEA

DAY AT SEA

So, we haven't seen land since yesterday at lunch. I could never be a sailor..... The Pacific is so big and my mind conjures up so many "lost at sea" survival movies..plus I have a small bout of sea sickness from the rollers.  Hopefully, when we make land tomorrow about 9, my stomach will have calmed down. I've missed a few fun activities, but also rallied to attend a great lecture on the history of the Marquesas. Tomorrow we land at Hiva Ou and Tahuata. We only moor where we can unload freight and reload stuff from the small islands...mainly coconuts and their by products, and I will see what else.
This ship is only a couple years old and really nice inside. We have a big bath, (for a ship) and free laundry service! We just got our clean clothes back.  We have a sitting area with a couch and coffee table and 2 chairs...and a refrigerator! And a nice deck with outdoor furniture. Sometimes I forget we are on a freighter, until I go on deck and see all the containers and other things. Wifi is by satellite, and expensive, but I can write emails and download mine and read them later. The food is mostly French cuisine accompanied by French wines that are selected to go with the meals.....portions are not huge, like Americans like....but probably just right, as I am always full! There are only 13 Americans, so we aren't hearing much English spoken, and I always have my ears out for an English speaker, since I only know a few words in French.
Tomorrow will be a busy day, as we are off the boat and seeing sights and start learning about the Marquesas Islands and their rich history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment